Sunday, May 15, 2005

Ray Charles - Ray Charles in Concert (BMG)

This DVD Video was recorded back in 1999 at a benefit concert in Florida for the Miami Lighthouse for the Blind. While there are no extras, the first number is the background to some intriguing black and white warm-up and rehearsal footage and jamming. From there it’s straight into a great colour TV-shot concert with full big band.

There are some prime examples of the man and his magic here – and strong evidence that even at the end of the 90s he was still capable of delivering. I Got A Woman is the classic gospel opener. I Hurts To Be Loved draws emotion from the assembled orchestra and songs like Georgia On My Mind and Your Cheatin’ Heart (which gets a special ripple from an audience that adds little atmosphere to proceedings) are even more compelling, in light of Jamie Foxx’s Academy Award-hoovering portrayal of the man and his life.

The best moments of jazziness come when Ray leaves the keyboards to deliver a sax solo on Al I Ever Need Is You, and a couple of duets (including the I Had To Be You) with Diane Schuur, who gets a classic Ray Charles intro in “I’m going to introduce a little femininity to the stage. Hallelujah. Can I get an Amen on that?” Amen!

No comments: